Thursday, September 24, 2009

9/22 Sunset surprise

I was slowly savoring my last moments on the Piazza del Duomo. Sun was going down and lighting was so cool I was pretending to be a photographer. Really, I was just soaking this place in.

Suddenly I heard a beat in my chest. Made me jump. Then again. I turned around to where the sound was coming from and I saw a drum troupe all dressed in red--maybe 30 people large--called Timbre according to their shirts. All at once that baseline, that rhythmic beating of the drums were just penetrating. It was so powerful. This was my farewell.

Obviously they grew quite a crowd--30 drummers and other percussionists echoing amidst these amazing historical landmarks. These guys and girls (lots of girls!) were so high energy and had a whole routine with a leader up in front getting us all pumped up! I lost it. I started crying. It was so emotional for me--it literally rocked me to my core--I was moved to tears.

For all the separation I’ve noticed in this city the past 3 days, in this moment everyone was one. Everyone was smiling! We were all taking pictures and dancing and following this troupe as far as they were going to take us., gathering up more folks along the way. People were looking out their windows, coming out on their balconies, people working in the shops along the way were coming out to experience this spontaneous parade. It was the beautiful, unifying power of music. It was so magical and so fun! I took the scarf off from around my neck and was waving it in the air, like a good old fashioned New Orleans parade!

They led us through the Piazza del Duomo, the Piazza Republica, and to the Piazza de San Lorenzo where they finally ended in front of the statue of Zeus. Unbelievable. One of the most memorable moments in Italy for me--and I kinda feel like I was designed to be there. The timing was just too perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment