Monday, September 21, 2009

9/19 last dinner in Montalcino

I'm pretty beat and have to get up to catch a bus in the morning so I decide to do a little shopping before an early dinner. I got my Tuscan table runner which will look nice on Grandma's dining room table, although I'm getting rid of the red rug as soon as I get home. The kids are always out in the streets at this hour. Running around, popping in for a slice of pizza or a gelato then running to visit their parents at their restaurant or shop.

I wandered down to the opposite end of town today and found a breathtaking park. Views that went on forever. In the morning the fog hangs over these valleys and hills but this time of day it was pretty clear--to the distant mountains. As I'm snapping pictures and petting another neighborhood kitty, I hear drumming. I decided whatever that was, I needed to find it. I began trekking back up in to the village and ultimately found a parade. There are 4 distinct neighborhoods in Montalcinoo that all have their own flags, colors, symbols, etc. This was one neighborhood represented by children and adults dressed in traditional wear, playing the drums and very seriously and ceremoniously marching through town. They ended up in a church that had their neighborhood flags posted all around it so I'm not sure if it was a meeting of some sort, or a wedding...not sure. But it sure was very cool.

So I chose Taverna Del Grappolo Blu to have dinner. I think I read about it somewhere. I got there at about 7:15 which is early for dinner in Italy. I got a table in a back room and informed the owner that I was excited to be there for wine and pasta with porcinis. He informed me he did not have porcinis but he had fungi i truffle oil--fine. Yum. For the next 2 hours I chatted with the owner, Luciano, and had wonderful discussions of travelling alone and life balance. Ahh. Oh--and my waitress was wearing a blinged out shirt that read "Only Boring People Get Bored." Ha! I finished off dinner with a small ramekin of molten chocolate and a delicious dessert wine, both recommendations and compliments of Luciano. I love this town.

1 comment:

  1. Yea! My new favorite saying: "Only Boring People Get Bored." This sounds fabulous! Can I live through you?

    ReplyDelete