Thursday, September 24, 2009

9/21 9:35pm

As I usually do, I turned right out of my hotel. I should turn left. Right takes me to the Duomo and I know where I am from there. I wandered a bit while the garbage collectors and street sprayers cleaned up after the day’s sight seeing. What a mess! Why do people think it’s okay to throw their trash on the ground?! So I decided I was going to go to the next block and if I didn’t like it I’d just turn around and go back. Well, I didn’t like it. Too quiet and dark. I have landed in a little square, not sure which one, at Trattoria ZaZa (Bex--I thought of you when I saw it for some reason). Quite buzzing, cool ambiance. Stone walls, little nooks and enclaves and statuary. Cool old gothic chandeliers, tented outdoor terrace area with colored lights. Lots of buzz--not the romantic spot. Although I see a lot of couples holding hands in Italy and I LOVE it. I need to do more of that at home.

Sitting, unfortunately, next to a large party of Asians who, although pleasantly lively, keep going in to fits of clapping and loud laughing.

They seem to have a large seafood selection here but I have gone with a green salad -- ahhh…fresh veggies-- and eggplant parmesan. One of my favorites at home. We’ll see.

I’m enjoying the house ZaZa (ha!) Rosso di Toscana--which just means it’s younger wine than a Brunello. I learned that. Definitely not as “tongue-drying” as the Brunellos I had a little south of here. Still daydreaming of Montalcino.

I learned today that they do not put salt in the bread in Tuscany. Rebelling against the salt providers of back in the day. Just means more olive oil for me! Oh no. Guy selling roses. This is one of THOSE places. I will not judge. I will not judge.

What the hell is the picture on this placemat? A little baby chef getting his ass stung by a mosquito! I took it. They’ll just have to clean up after me. This place doesn’t seem full of tourists, but because no one is speaking English doesn’t mean I’m the only out-of-towner. The guy who seated me was a very handsome dark skinned black man…not Italian--originally at least.

The guy walked right by me with his flowers. :(

Ahhh…huge green salad with carrots, cucumbers, and tomato…really good. Just a drizzle of balsamic. And I got busted stealing the paper placemat.

Okay, totally weird and random stuff tucked all around--totally kitschy. But the eggplant is melting in my mouth. I need another glass of ZaZa please!

The rose guy is gone now but there’s an accordion serenader…playing When the Saints Go Marching In. The Asians are singing something totally different in unison, as if that songs always prompts them to sing this other song.

All the desserts say “Special ZaZa___.” I feel like I’m at TuTu Tango. Maybe I am!

So this is the thing. Cities internationally are cities. Different history, different art, etc. but full of tourists and geared toward them. Not rocket science, I know. This is about what I’m learning about myself…and I like the local experience. I’m definitely getting up tomorrow and walking to the Cascine market. Let’s hope I find what I seek (and I’m not talking about boots -- well, maybe I am.).

No comments:

Post a Comment