Monday, September 10, 2012

Friday: Driving Miss Cristin

Friday, September 7, late afternoon

We arrived in Avignon via another lovely train ride (we're loving the train!) and picked up the rented car. Got some maps, got our bearings, and hit the road. Christine is excited to drive here, and I'm excited not to. Driving through Avignon actually reminded me of driving in Jamaica or Mexico--kind of run down, industrial, lots of gas stations and mechanics, quite barren...not much green. One thing to me that really separates France from Italy. I don't remember this from my short stint in Italy, but I also didn't visit many large towns. But it seems even simpler in Italy. Less "business", less wires, less...aridness. It didn't take long outside Avignon to begin to see the fields, the lushness, the mountains, the quiet.


No comments:

Post a Comment